Monday, June 13, 2011

Well, it’s been a few days since my first post on this blog. I know I said I’d update as often as I could, but it’ll probably be a few days between each blog post. Maybe a week – who knows? But I guess it doesn’t matter, anyways… Not like there are a whole lot of you watching this. I will admit, though, that I was surprised that I even got a comment on my last post! There are some people visiting this blog, so that’s a plus.
                Okay… I need to get something off my chest. I wasn’t fully honest with you last time, and I’ve just felt guilty about it. I guess I’ll tell you now, though…
                I know I said that I was going to use this blog to get over writer’s block, but the real reason for making this was because of my friend Charlie. He’s been yapping at me for months, trying to get me to make something like this because he’s tired of me whining about how I can never finish any of my stories. The only reason I complied was to get him to shut up – so, in a way, we both win. I have somewhere to rant about my writing, and Charlie shuts up about this blog.
                Well, that’s what I thought would happen. As it turns out, he’s been keeping track of my progress on this site (how the Hell he found it, I don’t know), and I got a call from him an hour or so ago. He was happy that I finally decided to make a blog, but he kept talking about how I didn’t really introduce myself.
                Well, I didn’t want to talk to him for an hour or more. It runs up the wireless bill, for one; I also hate it when people call or text me first. I guess it’s just one of those little pet peeves that I have. Whenever my phone starts buzzing I instantly get annoyed, no matter if you’re a person I’ve wanted to talk to. I told him I’d make a new entry on here telling more about myself rather than giving off an asshole vibe in my first post (which, if you really do think I’m an asshole, sorry about that – I wasn’t in the best of moods then).
                So… I guess I should get started on the real reason for this post, right?
                My name’s Arthur Pierce (obviously) and I’m a senior in high school – or I will be, come August. I’ve been interested in writing for as long as I can remember, and I don’t limit myself on what kind of writing I do. I’ve edited scripts for the Cinematography Club’s short films; I’ve even helped with the drama productions the school has every spring. In fact, helping people is one of my skills that I enjoy more than writing, but the downside is that no one really wants my help. I don’t know why, really – I’ve never done anything to affect my reputation in a negative way.
                I try and experiment with each literary genre so that I know what I’m good at. I mentioned last time that I was more of a crime writer, though, and that’s because I feel at ease in writing there. It’s more natural to me than, say… Romance or comedy. The mystery of the genre is what excites me, as you can keep the reader guessing as to where you want the story to go. Is this guy the killer, or is it his girlfriend? Or maybe it’s that bum on the street corner!
                See, stuff like that is what I live for.  I’ve read so many mystery books that I’m starting to figure out the twist before the end of the story! Well, except for Sherlock Holmes’ stories, but that’s because Doyle is a fucking cheater when it comes to twists. I’ll elaborate on that in a later post, though; I think it deserves more than just a paragraph here.
                I’m not just limited to mystery, though. I love the horror genre, too, though I’m not any good at it. I have trouble creating an antagonist – whether it be a monster, a killer, or some sort of evil spirit – that’s believable. I’m working on that, though… I’ve been reading a lot of Lovecraft and Stephen King, so maybe some of their magic will rub off on me.
                I’m going to stop here for right now. I know blocks of text aren’t appreciated anywhere on the Internet, so I won’t risk scaring away some of my readers because of a super long post. As I said before, I don’t know when I’ll be able to post again. Even if I can’t write anything at the moment, I can still do research! I’m going to try and stop by the police… office, or whatever the Hell they call it. There’s some sort of investigation into a few disappearances in the area, so maybe I’ll find something useful for a story.
                Also, if it’s not asking too much, can I ask my readers to pray for a friend of mine? She’s going through a tough time right now; her parents are getting divorced, her family is pretty much fractured, and she’s going through some depression issues at the moment. I’m helping her as best I can, but it’d help me knowing she has some support, even if it’s from the Internet.
                Thanks!
-          Arthur Pierce

1 comment: